Feb 5, 2013

Emperor Penguin Begins

Today I am back in the studio to begin a commission for a dear friend of mine.  She asked for a Penguin.   So to begin I chose a blue sky and a series of long strips of whites and blue for the snow area.  I will quilt this first and then continue on the journey of this winter scene and winter bird.  

Sometimes when you research a bird you do not have a detailed knowledge of, you learn so many new things.  I have been watching videos as well as viewing photos both of closeups and distance shots of the Emperor Penguin.  It has been so much more then I thought and I have learned about their funny feet, tails and that they really are not just black but a grey and  black blend of feathers.

I am excited to begin this bird and it will be a nice break from my owl series with an entire new color palette!

7 comments:

WoolenSails said...

This looks like a fun project, love the background, it is perfect for a winter penguin.

Debbie

Molly, Sweet Potato Shop said...

oooo I like it so far!!

Libby Fife said...

It is fun to learn about your subject isn't it? And now I know that they aren't just black and white!

Great start as always to your piece. I'll be waiting:)

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

So glad you are all enjoying it so far. Lots more to come!

Debra Dixon said...

I'll be checking in too!

Susan Turney said...

Those icy blues and whites are perfect, of course! They definitely look like cold, winter water that a penguin would love!

Nellie's Needles said...

It's already GOOD!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...