Sep 11, 2012

Cockadoodle

 "Cockadoodle"
25 inches X 29 inches
Designed, Raw-edged Fused Appliqued
and Machine Quilted by
Barbara Strobel Lardon
Copyright 2012
Sold to Private Collector

I have been working on this off and on for the past week finishing all the quilting and then fusing on the binding, labeling and adding the sleeve.  

I added the barn and a few fir trees to add depth to the piece.


 I love doing birds feet.  Not sure why, but I do.


Each feather is individually quilted with the exception of the breast which is a solid piece quilted with feathers.

I added barbed wire to the post since that is seen on most farms around here.

 Tail feathers were also individually quilted and are in shades of blue green and black.

I had lots of fun working on this piece.  When you are enjoying the journey it is very hard not to be in the studio everyday working on it.  I had to continually break away from this piece due to my schedule and also the Quilt Expo but ....it was all worth it in the end.  At the end of the month this one will be entered along with my frog into my guilds show.  I hope everyone enjoys seeing them there.

I did attend the Madison Quilt Expo which had my quilt "Honorable Mention?" in it.
Not a winner but I was filmed by the committee explaining my inspiration and technique in making this piece so that was unexpected and thrilling!   I will share it when they publish it.

Tomorrow I will post some to the great quilts that were at the Expo.


5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love how you add detail with stitches, really adds to the dimension. Poor chick, not even an honorable mention, must be biased judges;)

Debbie

Terri Stegmiller said...

He turned out so fabulous! I feel like I can hear him doing his thing.

Knatolee said...

Incredible. Truly. I am such a fan of your work! And I LOVE the chick. So original and you've nailed it. I can't believe it wasn't a winner.

Knatolee said...

PS We are taking our three roosters to a rooster-crowing contest at a harvest festival this SUnday! :)

Libby Fife said...

You look great! And what a super composition that rooster piece turned out to be. Nice job! His feet do look really good: they almost have a graphic, "drawn" quality to them which of course I like:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...