Feb 1, 2012

Poppies & Patients

I found some time to get back in the studio yesterday.    I added more elements to my Poppy quilt mainly in the foreground.    It has been a whirlwind 5 days with lots of stress.  Even after the defibrillator/pacemaker is implanted and you would think that you could relax, you now feel on edge wondering if it will go off.   Then there is a chance of infection at the site so you have to change the dressing each day watching for signs of that.  The whole thing made me nervous and I can imagine how Bob was feeling.


Today we went for his first ck.up.  One of the Drs. who was in the operating room and works for the company that invented this device,  hooked Bobs device up to his computer by laying a box on top of his chest.  Then he said "Now I am going to be controlling your heart".    Yikes!   So he would say now you are going to feel it speed up.  Bob said later it was a strange sensation.

So the bottom line is it is working great to keep his heart in a regular rhythm and all looks good.

After he left in came the Dr. who did the surgery and he said he is looking really good.  Then I asked him if his heart is helped now and we are on this diet and he already lost 6lbs.  could his heart improve
and go from the 35% that it is now back into the safe zone of the 40's and the answer is YES.   So now I am on a mission to pursue this diet full steam ahead.    There are miracles in medicine these days.
Plus there is so much importance to eating a healthy diet.

Now back to work.

10 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I am so happy to hear Bob is doing well and good thoughts coming your way for a lot of improvement with the help of the diet.

Your poppy piece is wonderful. I really wasn't sure when you first showed the backgound, but this is a good lesson in building a quilt with depth of field.

Molly, Sweet Potato Shop said...

That's the best news -- forge ahead w/ that diet and show everyone how you can take control of your life! I love the poppy quilt!! It's looking great!

WoolenSails said...

That is good news and glad to hear that he is on his way to a healthier recovery. Love how your poppy is coming along.

Debbie

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Good news.
I really love the poppy quilt

Molly, Sweet Potato Shop said...

how are you liking your new diet?

Libby Fife said...

Aren't we lucky for these medical advances and the access to them? Wow! Glad that he is feeling better and making great progress. Keep up the new way of eating-it is paying off already:)

Susan Turney said...

Barb, the quilt is "growing" beautifully. I'm so happy Bob is doing so well. I'm sure all of this new diet and new way of life will become routine soon but it all seems a bit daunting right now. Hang on and it will be the new "normal" soon!

Beverly said...

I'm glad Bob is doing well, and you have had some early success with healthy eating. Keep it up, you will both reap the benefits and feel so much better!

Judy Hartman said...

I wish your husband and you well, Barbara. My dad had a pacemaker and it greatly improved the quality of his life for many years. It was a blessing.
I absolutely love this piece you are working on! You are so talented!

Cameron said...

Barb, Just read your news. Sounds like good news for your husband and you will be in my prayers. Love your beautiful work as always. Hugs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...