May 26, 2010

The Swing - May Interpretation

The Swing 
 20" x 20"
Raw-edged fused applique
Commercial  fabric
Machine quilted
Fused binding/border 

The May "Interpret This" photo challenge.

I enjoyed working on this interpretation for the month of May because it was so fitting for spring.
It reminded me of the park I went to as a child where the equipment was older and included a swing hanging from a tree.  So I took the artistic license we all can tap into and added a swing to my interpretation.

It is all fused applique and I added a fused border/binding.  I call it this because it is both.  It acts as a binding wrapping around the quilt but the bottom of it is part of the landscape.  It is machine quilted.


I added lots of layers and "snippets" of fabric for all areas adding lots of texture.
Details in the blossoms were done with a permanent fabric marker.

You can read more and see other members interpretations by clicking on the "Interpret This" button in the side bar.  It will be well worth the look!

5 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Barbara! It's beautiful!!!! Is it hard to qut through all those layers of fused fabric? I broke a few needles doing my self portrait... I figure there are trucks I need to learn...

Nellie's Needles said...

I want to be there! Oh, to be swinging under that tree filled with blossoms. That's my fantasy moment for the day while I clean out the refrigerator. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful. The added swing is the perfect touch.

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful interpretation and love the fabrics you choose for the appliques.

Debbie

Unknown said...

Wow, this turned out beautifully.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...