Jan 3, 2009

Antique Quilts














When I got home from work last night and finished dinner, I decided to finish reading "The Secret Life of Bees". I loved this book. It was a wonderful character study and reminded me of how far we have come since the 60's.

Since that meant I did not have time to quilt, I decided to photograph some more of my antique quilts. I needed to refold them anyway ( I mark my calendar to remind me). So here they are.
The only one that is family made is the pale grey and pink star quilt. This one was made by my husband's Grandmother Marie Murphy in Greenfield Indiana.

The other quilts I have purchased while owning our antique business. Over the years I have had to keep a few that have crossed my path. If I had had it my way, I would have kept them all but space requirements held me back. The one red and green one Bob bought for me and there was no history of who or where it was made. I wish it did but like most of these were sold at auction with no history attached. I know it is mid 1800's and just hope the fabric holds up with care. The one with all the most close up blocks was made in Cascade Wisconsin by the same woman who made the previously posted block. I love the colors and everything about this quilt. It actually is tied and does not seem to have any batting. It is all hand done with the exception of the binding which is machine sewn.

So I hope you enjoy these fragile quilts. I know the condition of the green and red one is most fragile so I make sure I refold it as often as I can and keep it out of the light. I call it "Spinning Feathers" but am not sure of the actual pattern.

4 comments:

Carmen Rose said...

I should get mine out and refold them, thanks for the reminder!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

That is why I mark my calendar. Otherwise with all that is going on it is the last thing on my mind until maybe 6 months go by! :)

Anonymous said...

Barbara, can you send me your email address? Thx

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I will send it today. Thanks for any help you may have for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...