Mar 5, 2015

QUILTING CONTINUES....

 I thought today I would show the back of my new art quilt so you can see the amount of quilting that has gone into this so far.   I usually do not show the back but do get asked to show it by buyers as well as viewers.   The reason for this is because I firmly believe that an art quilt is fiber art...fitting into the world of quilters as well as mainstream art.   I feel it should be considered from the front fully and totally and the back should only be nice and neat and tidy with stitches that have good tension.  I do not think it necessary to bury threads at the end of a quilting line or to be as precise as what is required of  a bed quilt...which is always seen on both sides .  How many collectors ask to see the back of an oil painting when considering whether to purchase it, or a watercolor or pastel...all of which many times have miscellaneous paint spatters or smudges on the back.  An art quilt will hang on a wall and the back will remain unseen.  Yes the sleeve and the label should be neatly done as should the binding if it is traditionally bound, and perhaps if a traditional pattern either pieced or appliqued it should meet those high standards.  But quilts such as mine with many layers and many thread changes and dense quilting should only be required to be neatly done with all loose threads clip and removed.   It is only my humble opinion but it is how I construct all of my pieces.
 This is the quilting so far.   Added some whiskers too.....loved adding those.  It continues to come to life.
And here is me in my studio.....You can not see most of it...there is a cutting table to the left and that closet is huge and houses all my fabric, completed quilts, supplies, extra machines, boxes for shipping and miscellaneous other things.  So nice to be able to shut the door and not worry about it fading in the sun either.   Of course my buddy Ozzie is always with me....and my camera on the tripod ready for a quick photo of wildlife or just the beautiful woods outside that window.


6 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, the back is so beautiful! The front is so expressive. You are right about the whole fiber package being quality and finished. We don't rely on a frame shop to do the finished presentation, so we need to be vigilant on this end of the art.

Jacqueline said...

It was interesting to see the back also. I love how you share your process.

WoolenSails said...

I love how you can see the design from the back and so much detail with the stitching. Wonderful photo of you in your room.

Debbie

Libby Fife said...

I would say that all work, no matter the medium, should be carefully and thoughtfully constructed. Just a thought.

That back looks great also-a piece of art in and of itself!

So do I get in trouble if I say this is another sassy photo??? LOL!

Trish said...

I agree with your opinion of the back of an art quilt, but I am still glad to be shown your backside! ;) It looks just as I imagined...interesting from the back as well as beautiful from the front. Oh, and I also like those whiskers!

Unknown said...

I completely agree with your comments about the back of art quilts and approach mine the same way. Nice studio!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...