Jan 9, 2013

Barred Owl

 "Barred Owl"
21 inches by 15 inches
Rawedged fused applique
Couched Yarn binding
Machine Quilted

First Quilt of 2013

 I finished the binding this morning and the quilting yesterday.  Woo Hoo!   I am very happy with this owl and the piece overall.  Since I do not physically plan out my quilts other then the main character, I always hope that what is in my head transforms successfully into the piece.

 I added more quilting to the downy type white feathers and left that darker ones more simple.
 I couched yard on as my binding.  I learned this technique from my good friend, Nellie Durand.  If you are interested in learning this you can go here:  Couching Yarn
I do not use it on every quilt but on this one I like how ti added to the naturalness and texture in the piece.
Here is the back.  I am showing this just to show the amount of quilting on this one.  I am a firm believer that the art is on the front!  I am always mystified at the judging that is done on the backs of art quilts.  I get it on a bed quilt and yes I do think that your back should be neatly done without anything horrible going on with tension, loose threads, birdnests and things like that but
that is it.  I think my backs are nicely done over all .  I refuse to bury my threads and instead choose to take several very small stitches to end a line of stitching. This results in a perfect top and maybe if quilting in a thick or dense area, a tiny knot will appear, at times, on the back.   I do not think it matters.  

8 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love it, love the design, love the materials you used and love the extra stitching. I also love the yarn border, really nice idea for an edge. I do have a couching foot, need to practice with it and different yarns to see what works best.

Debbie

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wow, it's fabulous. Another great quilt. You sure are getting so many of these done. I'm guessing you've already got the next one planned. LOL!

Loris said...

So amazing! You really captured the strong beauty of this owl. Love your work!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really wasn't sure your background was going to work on this one (thought it had too many value changes) but luckily you had better insight than I did. It is magnificent. AND you made my day when you said you don't bury threads! I don't either.

Libby Fife said...

I am with you on that one! Why look at the back of the quilt? As long as it is neat and clean who cares? The action is on the front and look at your little man! He turned out great! Those eyes are really mesmerizing and kind of freaky too since you can't see any colored part. He looks sweet but I bet he is fierce! LOL! Great job!

Debra Dixon said...

What an outstanding first quilt of 2013!

Nellie's Needles said...

Fabulous! I can't imagine a different finish on the edge ... love your choice of yarns.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Thank you all for all your compliments and support of my work. You inspire me to continue on as well as motivate me to keep challenging myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...