Jan 6, 2009

"Evening Solitude"






Last nite I put on the new binding and added a few more dew drops made from glass crystals and
decided it was complete. The title for this 21X 24 inch quilt is "Evening Solitude". I hope you can see the detail of the border where I quilted two meandering lines around the quilt and between them I added french knots. I really like that enhancement to this border and it repeated the addition of dew drops to the body of the quilt. I also decided to show the back of this quilt. I have not done that in the past but thought maybe I will since it is a whole other challenge to make the backs of our quilts tidy and interesting. In the past I have appliqued fish, birds, and flowers on the back sleeves and labels. I did not with this one because I am not sure it is worth the time. I know at shows many time the white glove person will say...."wait until you see the back!" ...and then
grab a corner and show you this other side of the quilt. Although interesting, I still have not decided myself if the extra work involved, which takes time away from your next piece, is worth it.
Does it ever get seen once the quilt is hanging in its permanent home? Is it just the little surprise that you get when you least expect it that makes the time involved worthwhile? I have decided to omit it for this little quilt.

8 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

WOW! Your design change in the binding and the quilting in the border are perfect.

This is quilt is a delightful peek into nature. Your raw edge applique is most appropriate for portraying that.

As for the "surprise on the back", it's a matter of time spent in my opinion. But then again, it makes a nice signature touch.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Thank you Nellie. I am glad you liked the final results. I may go back and add something to the back.
I have done that with all my others and you are right, it is a nice signature touch. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great piece! I looked at the details and your work is so clean. I have been excited by the pieces that you are producing so thank you again!

As for the back, I know what you mean. By the time I get there I feel worn out. Any little touch on the back that you add could be a special surprise though-sometimes I add a little embroidery on the sleeve...

Thanks,
Libby

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Libby, that is a great idea. I am going to try that sometime. I looked thru my fabric stash and found a pinecone large pattern. I think I may fussy cut some out and applique it on the back add a few beads and at least it will be something special added.

frannie said...

I like the back, it looks like fireworks. How did you do the pine-needles? It's a lovely quilt.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I put fusible on a square of several shades of green and a bit of yellow fabric. Then I cut out the narrow curved pines and placed them on the quilt top. After I quilted down one side and back on the other.

I liked the looks of the back quilting as well and thought you could use that as quilting design for fireworks!

Holly Knott said...

A beautiful quilt, Barbara! I just noticed that you are a follower of my blog - thank you! - so I checked out yours. Love this quilt. All those individual pine needles!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Being a lover of pinecones...I love this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...